A Little Miracle

I was not going to blog again today. I have had to get on with harvesting beetroot and swede and the runner ducklings needed their new house to be cleaned and disinfected before they are due to be transferred outside next week, but I just had to share one of the Sweetest little victories I  have been a part of in many a month!

Last night I switched off the incubator after "bobbing" the final few quail eggs. Non were "pipping" and none bobbed when immersed in warm water, so convinced the remaining couple of eggs were duds I shut everything down.

Today at midday, I remembered that I had left the last eggs in the incubator, so I removed them,(throwing them in the rubbish bag) and disinfected the dirty incubator out. As I was drying the equipment I noticed Albert digging through the rubbish bag and  suddenly he stopped dead when the faintest of "peeps" sounded beneath a load of potato peelings and banana skins.

I dug through the crap and pulled out an egg with the smallest of cracks in it. A tiny beak was pushed through the gap and as I looked carefully at it, it gave the smallest of shudders. The egg was literally stone cold, so I cupped it in my hands and blew on it gently. The chick moved slowly and gave another weak peep, so I kept breathing on it willing the little scrap to survive.
The eggs had been cold over 16 hours, so it is unbelievable that the chick had found the reserves to hatch but hatch it did and half an hour later it kicked free of its shell, still hidden away in the palm of my hand.
I transferred the baby to the hastily re assembled incubator (you try setting one up with one hand!) and here he is 2 hours later!
What with everything going on in our lives......(Chris has a multi million pound research bid to complete! and the bloody coalition Government is still bleating on about the unemployed and benefit cutting) the saga of a tiny chick no bigger than my thumb is hardly of any importance.........but to be honest, as the tiny quail valiantly raised his head as I lifted the incubator lid, I literally could have wept.

35 comments:

  1. Oh John, what a WONDERFUL story and it certainly IS of consequence! I hope you gave Albert a big hug for bringing to your attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw.... it is a little miracle! The poor little thing! Good for Albert!

    How many hatched altogether?

    ReplyDelete
  3. we now have six!!!
    mind you albert would have wolfed down the chick within seconds if he had caught it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, what a wonderful story to start the day over here with. Even if Albert had ulterior motives, I'd give him a pat and a snuggle (if that wouldn't upset his dignity) for that save.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Albert and Thistle are related through their terrier blood - tee hee.... Yay for the wee PEEP!

    ReplyDelete
  6. darn it...now you went and made me cry! (I am always in awe of the fight to survive..even the smallest!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You certainly have a way, John, of putting things into perspective.There is nothing more important than that chick's life at that moment!
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  8. aww, good boy Albert, for alerting you to the baby. I know, my terriers wouldn't have had the best of intentions either.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Albert is the cat!
    Meg, William and george are the terriers!
    there are too many animals to keep up with

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh that is so sweet...

    I am usually so bad at thinking of names but you know I think you should name him "The Little Red Engine that Could". Yes a very long name LOL You could call him Red for short!

    ReplyDelete
  11. See, that's what it's all about really. Don't think he/she should be a raffle prize, though. Got two bantam chicks that hatched last week, and temps were quite chilly this a.m. Four actually hatched, but two went missing. Guessing cats got 'em. No luck on getting rid of any, but with my raise starting Monday, feed and such shouldn't be an issue for the winter. I do love my chickens and pigeons.
    ~Randy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Au contraire, this saga is very important! I hope your little chick survives and thrives. What a story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello! What a wonderful blog you have here! And geese as well!! Thank you for dropping in and I do hope we can become fine friends!

    ReplyDelete
  14. John, I'm feeling a bit down this afternoon, and this sweet, sweet story of survival is what is needed to lift an old ladies heart!! I do so hope this little baby will be okay--He will, won't he??

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is so wonderful, these little guys don't know how lucky they are to have hatched in your brooder.
    Sue.M

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aawww John, I have tears in my eyes as I read this over, good on you Albert, I think you deserve a treat ! ( I did say treat, not tweet )
    My heart is beating a little faster after reading I can only imagine the urgency you felt in trying to get the incubator plopped back together.
    I wish the little fella well...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks. Now every time I eat a quail egg, I'm going to worry about a little face peeping out at me....

    He's so cute though. A german friend of mine bought a few quail at market, then took them back to his Hamburg flat, but made the mistake of allowing them to wander around the stairs, next to the front doors other the other Turkish residents... You can guess the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aww John what a little miracle is right! Perfect name for the little critter too. Thank you Albert!
    Night Night....Maura :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is a lovely story John. What are you going to name this little chap then I wonder! S x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! What a great story, and good you caught the chick before Albert did!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can't wait to hear what special name you come up with for this little survivor.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oops! I missed the comment where he was named Red.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a wonderful,triumphal story! Something so tiny yet so strong!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Way to go Albert!! What a heartwarming story. You are going to keep the chick aren't you? A miracle!
    And this little chick is a big deal! Huge!
    Please keep us updated how the little one is doing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh John, I am so happy to read this story today. Our world needs more miracles like these and I am with you, I would have wept in an instant. Keep us posted on baby Miracle's development :)
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  26. What's more important than life?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous5:04 am

    What an amazing, beautiful miracle! I had some tears coming on, too. Thanks.

    Y'know, these kinds of things can seem small but I think they're small like plankton are small. They can be so easy to dismiss but they're actually the basic sustenance without which everything else wouldn't matter anyway. It's always been the small joys, surprises, simple miracles, and loving in my life that gives the bigger events all their meaning, and without them the rest would just seem empty.

    What in the world are you gonna name this little wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous5:10 am

    Oops! Just saw the name will be Red! I hope she's a girl that will lay lots and lots of eggs over the years...

    ReplyDelete
  29. I bet Albert is still pissed at you.

    ReplyDelete
  30. You saved a LIFE.
    Nothing insignificant about that!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Lovely story. Nice save, Albert!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow. So glad that Albert was pawing through your trash! (Luckily he didn't eat birdo.) I hope the little one makes it...after such an awful start.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes