Growing older gracefully & drake sexual tension

I believe that we as a nation possess a rather patronising and nanny-ish attitude to older people. They are sometimes seen as surplus to requirements, a burden on resources, slow, cumbersome and more often than not, less than vital in deed and thought
Yesterday Chris, Nigel and I witnessed something that reminded us all that old people aren't the weak willed, physically frail characters we think they are.
We were getting ready to leave the cottage for the railway station in Prestatyn, so that Nigel could catch his train home to Manchester. Outside it was almost dark and raining (when isn't it?), and through the gloom farmer Ralph drove noisily past on his massive tractor!
As we watched all of us could make out a small figure perched precariously on the backplate of the vehicle and I burst out laughing when I realised it was Mrs Jones from Pen-y-cefn- Isa (above right) Down the lane, and without the usual health and safety worries, Ralph was giving her a quick lift up to her old farm!
I giggled at the fearless fun shown by Mrs Jones and smiled at the lack of patronising worry shown by Ralph.........and I think the three of us watching learnt a small lession in how not to pigeon hole people and their behaviour!

On the home front Halleh ( the broody Blanche's adopted duckling son) is suffering from a sudden rush of sexual tension. Still unaware that he is , in fact a drake, he has shown some half arsed amorous interest in some of the more delicate hens. Every morning, "stiffened" by his sudden urges he has pounced upon a passing hen and rather messily grabs her by a beakful of feathers. He neither tries to mount his victim or flattens them by holding down their head down in typical drake/duck style, but holds onto their feathers briefly before the hen gives him a bit of their mind and chases him away.

Mindful that things could well get out of hand in the future, I will keep an eye on him, and if he becomes too sex fuelled, then I am afraid he will be placed into a run on his own.......here's hoping he realises that the six remaining runner ducks are a better prospect for some duck on duck sex!

3 comments:

  1. Hiya,
    Thanks for visiting my blog today! I had a laugh reading about your drake. I have one who really prefers chickens also. They will have no part of it. I think he favours their fluffy bloomers!

    Loved the pics of your Welshies. I grew up with them and my parents have one to this day. Darling little dogs and such a fun loving breed. Quite different from my own current dog, a rescued track greyhound.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That poor drake. Great story about Mrs. Jones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh John! Loved your word picture of Mrs. Jones on the back of the tractor. This post had me laughing. Sure hope the hens don't get the best of poor little duckster! It was ZERO degrees here at 8am!! Way too cold to sit in my car for long. Be well.x-c

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes