Materialism Part One

I always thought I was not overly materialistic, we have a Knackered old polo, a 12 inch tv from Tesco and my mobile phone cannot do anything but make phone calls! but after listening to Radio 4 this morning, I had a think ( in bed with a cup of tea at 6.15 am after walking the dogs), of what things I would grab from the cottage if we had a fire. Well the animals and family photos, of course would be somewhere safe, but I did realise that perhaps I am rather materialistic in an antique,art deco and sentimental way.

Well The pin board in the kitchen would be a surprising choice. Like family photos, it is full of memories and happy times, a friends' 'wedding, Bev and Janet in New York, my leaving badge from Sheffield, a sympathy card. I guess it is a snippet of your life on a simple cork board.

This plate is one of the few things I chose to keep from my Mother's house after she died. Her style was, very different to mine (reproduction furniture and 1960s crockery), and most articles from the house reminded me of the"unhappier" times of childhood. This plate is a link to the happier times I want to remember.

I love glassware, and these two sets of glasses are my all time favourites. The Champagne glasses are a chrismas Pressie from Janet and Ned, and are so 1950's! Classic, hollow and stylish.

The two little tumblers come from Takashimyia (sp?) a wonderfully expensive store on 5th avenue in New York. I bought them when I took Chris for our first holiday to the Big Apple, and loved the tiny lobsters and fish etched into the glass. Bringing them home was a nightmare as they were so fragile and pricey, but it was worth the effort. They remind me of New York

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:49 am

    John you have a photo of that plate you broke....and obviously you have it scanned. Why not crop it a little and print it out large size....mount it in a shadow frame and fasten the broken pieces of the plate inside the box artistically over the photo. You could even make it a collage with a photo of your Mum or a couple of lines of a poem that, to you, bring her to life. Just a suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a brilliant idea! Artistical too! Clever Delores.

      LLX

      Delete
  2. So there we are...of course you shed a tear when it broke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John, so sorry about your plate, especially the happy memories that went with it. Nobody can break your good memories, hold them tight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Feeling it with you, John.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes