little actions of kindness

Today I have been thinking of something that happened on a Christmas many years ago.
It was a little action of kindness that had a profound effect on me and made me believe in the humanity within man.

One sunday, I think it was around Christmas, we were having lunch at home, all of us "visiting" my parents. My twin sister and I would have been around 26, my elder sister and her husband in their forties. My mother was a not-so-secret drinker and was pretty smashed as I recall. She carried on preparing the lunch and serving it as though sober, but it was all too apparant to all how much she had indeed drunk. In typical English/family secret way we all tried ignore her slurring and clumsiness, but as she tottered off into the kitchen my father could not bare it anymore and burst into tears.
We were all mortified!, and concentrated on our lunches as though they were the only meals we had ever been presented with. Only My elder sister reacted. Immediately and gently, and withour undue fuss she lent over and cupped her hand on my father's cheek. It lasted but a moment, but in that one tiny act of kindness she gave him her support,affection and control, it quietened him and he carried on his meal as we all did.

That gesture strengthened us all, and I have never forgotton it, it was something unique and special andthese things are often surprisingly overlooked in our self absorbed lives.

I am glad I rememebered it

3 comments:

  1. Very touching, John. I've had a few tears come. This gesture is one I use each night when I say goodbye to my father in the nursing home. Different circumstances but similar support and affection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect gesture, and now I will remember it and act similarly when the touch of a caring hand is needed.
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful . . . touching . . .
    I too am happy you remembered your sisters gesture . . .

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes